Friday, December 3, 2010

4th Annual Gingerbread Competition + Toby

For the past 4 years, my family has had an annual gingerbread house decorating competition. It all started when Wes and I lived in Evanston...I had to work on Christmas so my family came to see us and we decided to have a friendly holiday activity....well, we had such a blast that first year of gingerbread decorating that we decided to make it an annual event.

We have refined our skills and the rules in the past few years resulting in the ultimate 2010 showdown:

boys vs girls,
30 minute time limit,
rotating member required to take babysitting breaks thruout .
(PS-We bumped the event to Thanksgiving wknd so Matt & Riss could join us since they won't be here on Christmas)

Okay....Ready, Set, Go!

The drama...
Um... boys, I'm not really sure that your gingerbread woman is rated "G" (look closely)
Girls
Boys (minus Wes and Stratton)

And the winner is....the GIRLS! Natalie was the judge ;)
----
After all was said and done and everyone had gone home, Wes went outside to turn off the Christmas lights and found this...
A GIANT, inflatable, lit up from the inside, Santa capped polar bear! HA! If you know us, you realize that this isn't exactly our Christmas decorating style *I like to think we're a bit more low key to say the least! It could only be one thing... a practical joke via dad and Matt. I have to say that I laughed hysterically. This had been on display for hours on end...on our front porch!
Well, "Toby" the Polar Bear (as he has been named by Natalie) doesn't live on our front porch for the world to see anymore....BUT he DOES live in my sunroom where the kids play with him, kiss him and talk to him every day :) The cutest part is that when "Toby" is unplugged, sitting in a lump on the ground...the kids tell me that, "Toby is taking a nap." LOVE IT- I think Toby might be our next annual tradition.

2 comments:

The Palmtag Family said...

So cute! Got your Christmas card on the first, you are on top of your game like always! Can I just say that you have the most beautiful family ever, you need to be models! :)

kacey said...

So excited to stumble upon your blog! I love seeing all that's going on in your fam and it's fun to see Stratton & Fallon's similarities and differences as they are so close in age. Beautiful family :)