...Like right before I have to leave for work, 5 minutes before the new babysitter shows up, while I am smelling dirty diapers, can't figure out why my outfit isn't right, haven't had a swig of coffee and a STRANGE ALARM starts beeping in the house we just moved into (aka: a house where I'm not even sure how the refrigerator works yet). Do you get the picture? Yeah....
Well, a few weeks ago that was the scene...A really weird beeping started abruptly in my house. It sounded like it was coming thru the speakers in our living room. Not knowing what alarms we have in our new place, I was puzzled. I was half dressed climbing a ladder to check out the fire alarm when our new nanny arrived. I pushed the button the the alarm to try to stop the annoying beep that was now giving me a migraine only to SET OFF the VERY loud fire alarm...ooops. I almost broke my fingers trying to get the batteries out as fast as I could and stop the shrieking noise...not fast enough, Stratton was up and screaming. Hmm...I walked around puzzled, grabbed a random shirt and realized I was now running late to the office. I told our sweet babysitter that I would call the guys who built the house...they would surely know what was going on...she just looked back at me...smiled and said "okay"...what was she going to say?! I drove to work hoping I wasn't ignoring some scary gas alarm...and quick gave the sitter a call to take the kids for a walk to get away from the noise and escape whatever the alarm was trying to tell us about! Too bad I looked out the window and saw that it was raining! Ahhhg! I made calls between visits at the office...after a half hour or so one of the guys called me back to tell me he was totally stumped! He had turned off the power to our entire house and and electrician was on the way but the beep was still beeping! That is until he happened to see a wicker basket in our living room. He decided to take a peek inside just in case he had missed something....well he had....actually I had....um, the major gas alarm that I had called the troops out to investigate was in fact.....
Pretty sure that's the first cash register emergency that has been addressed by the SWAT team. I apologized profusely and had to just laugh it off. ...yup, these are the memories that will make me smile for a long time :) Love it!
2 comments:
HI LARIOUS. that is a really, fabulous, awesome story. you are the most put together person i know. i'm sure your outfit was perfect and your kids looked perfect and your house looked perfect. so what's a little beeping. :) can't wait to see you!
this made me smile meredith! definitely a story for years to come! :)
Post a Comment